Ketogenic diets are some of today’s most popular weight-loss choices. Here’s everything you need to know!
There are plenty of choices when it comes to diet options, but rarely has a diet delivered such a positive effect on our health and mind. Ketogenic diets lay off some of the carbohydrates in favor of fat and protein. A high fat content may seem a bit counter-intuitive when it comes to weight loss, but numerous studies have proven that not only is it true, but it can also offer significant benefits for anyone suffering from diabetes, Alzheimer’s diseases, cancer and even epilepsy.
What Is the Ketogenic Diet?
The ketogenic diet favors foods that are high in fat while foregoing high-carb foods, creating a special mode of metabolism in your body called ketosis. In this state, your metabolism, which is normally tied-up in dealing with those pesky carbohydrates, is instead metabolizing fat with increased efficiency. Ketones, which are created in the liver when in ketosis, are now used as an extra-efficient fuel for your brain, giving you a clearer mind to go along with that flat belly! When in ketosis, your insulin blood sugar levels are not only lowered, but are also kept stable, making this a great choice for diabetics.
- High fat content instead of carbohydrates
- Put your metabolism in a state of Ketosis
- Metabolize fat more efficiently
- Lose weight
What Types of Ketogenic Diets Exist?
There’s more than one way to use the ketogenic diet, giving us plenty of options in keeping ourselves healthy according to our own preference.
1. Standard Ketogenic Diet – Also known as SKD, this diet is built on very low carb intake combined with moderate protein and fat intake. Typically, your diet will consist of roughly 5% carbohydrates, 20% protein and 75% fat.
2. Cyclical Ketogenic Diet – The CKD not only involves a higher percentage of fat intake with low carb intake, but also changes our eating schedule. For example, a CFD can include 2 days of high carbohydrate followed by 5 days high-fat and moderate-protein intake.
3. Standard Ketogenic Diet + High Protein – Much like the SKD, this diet favors high-fat over carbs, but includes extra protein, altering the percentage of your total intake to 35% protein, 60% fat and 5% carbohydrates.
4. Targeted Ketogenic Diet – This diet can retain the same ratios as the SKD, but also adds some targeted carbohydrate intake before or after a workout to offer a boost.
Weight Loss and Health Boost with a Ketogenic Diet
Science has shown that a Ketogenic diet is more effective than a low-fat diet. In fact, other studies have shown that it’s so effective and filling, that the need to count calories or keep a watchful eye over what you eat isn’t even necessary. So, what do we know?
- You can lose 2.2 times more weight on a ketogenic diet compared to a low-calorie diet.
- You’ll see improved levels of HDL and triglycerides.
- You can lose 3 times more weight when compared to a diabetes-targeted diet.
- Reduced appetite and hunger.
- Increased muscle mass.
- Increased metabolism.
- Lower blood pressure.
- Remain fit with age.
Starting a Ketogenic Diet – The Easy Way
Today, the easiest, most convenient and healthiest way to stay on top of a ketogenic diet is to use one the leading meal-kit delivery services. The biggest benefit is that you don’t have to do any of the shopping, meaning that straight away, you’ll get all the ingredients you need to keep your fat intake high and carb intake low, snacks included. Another huge advantage is that you’ll get great recipes that are easy to follow, upgrading your meals to a chef-level eating experience, all while losing weight!
Top Meal Delivery Picks for a Ketogenic Diet
Home Chef – Home Chef is one of the top picks for a ketogenic meal delivery service because of the thought put into its recipe library. You can easily find low-carb, high-protein and high-fat recipes through Home Chef’s impressive catalog and get started on losing weight!
Sun Basket – Sun Basket makes a point of using only top-tier ingredients, meaning that you’ll always get organic, non-GMO and antibiotic-free foods. Moreover, Sun Basket offers attractive plans for families with extra savings!