The Paleo diet takes us back in time, to the foods that humans ate long ago in order to offer us huge weight-loss and health benefits. Here’s everything you need to know before getting started!
What Is the Paleo Diet?
The Paleo diet is designed to mimic the foods available to humans when we were still hunter-gatherers, thousands of years ago. It is estimated that thanks to this diet, humans had lowered rates of lifestyle diseases, such as diabetes, obesity and heart diseases.
What Can You Eat on a Paleo Diet?
In its essence, the Paleo diet will have you eating more whole foods and meat. At the same time, you’ll want to avoid processed foods, sweetened drinks, dairy, and trans fats, including vegetable oil and margarine.
- Meat, fish and eggs
- Fruits, vegetables herbs and spices
- Various nuts and seeds
If this seems harsh, don’t worry! Today, it’s easier than ever to get on a paleo diet while saving time and money with a diet-conscious meal-kit delivery service – but more on that later!
What Should You Avoid on a Paleo Diet?
Going back to our hunter-gatherer roots means you need to let go of some of today’s conveniences. To keep it simple, avoid heavily-processed foods, such as:
- Sweetened Foods – This includes sodas, juice, sugar, ice cream and many more.
- Breads and Pasta – Avoid Wheat, rye, barley, spelt and other similar ingredients.
- Dairy – Avoid low-fat dairy products. Note that high-fat dairy products, such as butter and cheese, can be included.
- Foods rich in Trans Fat – Including soy, sunflower, corn, grapeseed and other vegetable oils, as well as margarine.
Lose Weight and Boost Your Health with a Paleo Diet
The paleo diet is one of the most popular diets of the recent years and it has the science to back it up! In this section, we’ll review some of the strongest evidence in favor of the paleo diet.
- Sticking to a paleo diet boosts your glucose tolerance – Clearing glucose from the blood stream is an important indicator of diabetes and heart disease, and a paleo diet improves it significantly.
- Paleo diets help you lose more weight – A recent study has shown that a paleo diet boosts weight loss by up to 1.5 times and offers an increased reduction in waist circumference.
- Improved cardiovascular risk factors – Including increased HDL and reduced blood pressure, triglycerides and cholesterol.
Starting a Paleo Diet – The Easy Way
Restricting a large part of your menu means that finding the food you can eat might be more time-consuming and, in some cases, unavailable in your area. Luckily, this is hardly a problem today thanks to meal-kit delivery services such as Home Chef and Sun Basket, which make a point of catering to specific dietary restriction, paleo included. The best part? The food, including all of the ingredients, will be delivered straight to your doorstep.
Home Chef’s recipe library makes it extremely simple to choose only the recipes that fit your paleo diet and offers great pricing for all-round great offering! Recipes are enticing and sometimes exquisitely exotic, yet always remain quick and simple.
Sun Basket is another great choice for a meal-kit delivery service that supports the paleo diet because of its strong emphasis on fully-organic, high quality ingredients. At the same time, Sun Basket’s family plans make it a great choice that will feed your entire family while saving a few dollars and improving nutrition.